"A New Year's resolution is a commitment that an individual makes to a project or the reforming of a habit, often a lifestyle change that is generally interpreted as advantageous."
Found that on Wikipedia, so it must be true. Right? :)
I have never been one to make goals or resolutions. I don't really know why, but I do know that it drives my husband crazy that I don't. (Ok maybe not crazy, but he always asks me what my goals are and can't believe that I don't have any.) He is one that always has a goal in mind and lists all of his long term goals on our bathroom mirror. Come look if you don't believe me. While I admire people that make goals and acheive them, I have never known where to start.
I think the other thing that keeps me from making goals is that if I don't acheive them, I think it would really bother me. Also, I don't know that I would want to make goals that were known by other people, because then they would have expectations and if I don't reach the goal I not only let myself down, but also everyone that knows.
Stupid viscious cycle.
So maybe I will start this year. I will list two big goals and too not so big goals.
Big goals:
1) Buy a house.
2) Iron once a month. (Ask John. This is a HUGE goal for me. I think that I have ironed a total of 3-4 times in the three YEARS that we have been married. I hate it.)
Not-so-big goals:
1) Plan menus every week.
2) Exercise three times a week.
I also have always secretly wanted to become a more interesting person. I don't know if you can classify that as a goal though, because seriously, how do you know if you have achieved that?
I'll let you know how it goes. If this works, I may have to make goals more often.

2 comments:
i hate ironing too.
and you are an interesting person! what makes you think you're not? we all get a little boring when we have kids.
I am the worst at ironing! I am also the worst at getting clothes out of the dryer in a resonable amount of time which makes for a sorry combination. Good luck with your resolutions!
Post a Comment