I am going to risk sounding a bit whiny. This is a lame post to write since I haven't touched this blog in a really long time, but I need a place to think out loud.
I got a new calling. It actually happened about 3 months ago. I was taken from my calling in the Young Women's after only a year and a half, and placed in the primary as the pianist. I get asked all the time how I feel about my new calling, and I haven't really been able to put it into words. I am going to attempt to do it now.
Let me start with a little back history on the callings I have held. My whole life I have loved music. When I turned 15, I recieved my first "real calling" as the ward choir pianist. I held that calling until I graduated High School. I enjoyed it because it taught me so much. I learned how to play and how to follow a director, and more important, I really learned how to accompany.
When I got to College I was called as a ward missionary until my ward found out that I played the organ. Cue 2 years of being the ward organist.
After getting married and living in our first apartment, I was called as the primary pianist.
When we moved to Springville, I was called as the music conductor of the sacrament hymns. (least favorite calling EVER)
When we moved to our current home, something happened. I was given a calling outside of music for the first time in my life (minus the one month of being a ward missionary). I was called to be a part of the Young Womens Presidency. I became part of a group of women that were called to help and support the young women in our ward, and I LOVED it. I adored the girls that I served. I gained lifelong friendships with some of the leaders that I worked with. And in an instant, it all changed. After only 1 and a half years I was released because they needed a piano player in the primary.
I was in a calling that stretched me in ways I had never been asked to stretch before. I was gaining new talents and insight. I was growing spiritually. How do you feel all of those things and then just walk away and "be ok" with it all.
So, in response to the questions asked. Am I excited to be in Primary? No. Will I fulfill my calling? Absolutely. I have always been taught that I should never hide my talents. That is why I have the calling that I do now. I am always willing to play the piano if a need arises. I will be in Primary every week playing the piano and supporting the primary chorister. Maybe in time I will be more excited to be there. For now, all I can do is be there. It would probably help my excitement levels if someone would make sure that the stinking air conditioning worked. I sit in my heated corner of the room behind the piano and feel like dying every week. That is how I feel about my calling.
I do feel grateful that I have the talents that I do. I wouldn't have worked so hard on them if they weren't important to me. I am grateful that I was given a calling in the Young Women for the short time that I was there because it really did teach me so much. I guess that the real reason behind everything that I feel is that once I get a music calling, that's it. I will probably be the primary pianist for the rest of the time that I am in our ward. There are worse things in life.
Thanks for listening. It definitely helps to get that out there.
8 comments:
Believe me no one understands more than I do. A little friendly advice from me to you...M&MS behind the piano! Everything is better with chocolate and the piano is an excellent little shield. :-)
And if you need a break, a chance to sit with your husband or attend relief society for once, I hear your neighbor plays piano. You can always ask her to sub!
I totally get it. We have the same problem in our ward, not enough people who play to give them the variety in callings they deserve. Although, as a former primary chorister- I have to say that it is such a blessing to have a pianist who can really play- it makes everything so much better. Hang in there- there is purpose to everything if we let it.
xoxo
This made me laugh. Everyone is different - I went from my dream calling (Primary pianist) that I had for a mere 8 months to the Beehive counselor. Everything you said about a YW calling is true - it stretches you so much - sometimes in ways I think I don't want to be stretched!
That said, good luck! The good thing is, callings don't last forever.
I am proud of you for accepting the new calling. Sorry the change has been hard.
I love you!
I like Lisa understand. Any time I move into a new ward I always hesitate letting them know I play the piano, but I do anyway. Something about that scripture to not hide my light under a bushel or whatever...I have had similar feelings as I went from piano calling to piano calling. It is difficult, but it does pass. I loved my time in YW as well. A year and a half is a pretty long time...although not long enough when you love it! Trust that the Lord has you right where he wants you right now. For whatever reason...Hang in there!
Ha! I know exactly how you feel! I thought Primary Pianist was one of the hardest callings because you don't really belong anywhere...you just sit behind the piano and don't go to Sunday School and don't go to Relief Society, but you don't really "belong" in primary either... anyway I think you're doing the right thing. Just hang in there! (When I play in primary I always try to spice things up a bit with the music to make it more exciting.) Just remind yourself of all the blessing that you are getting for sharing your talents and serving. :)
You are such a great example of doing the right thing! Thank you!
Post a Comment