Thursday, August 19, 2010

lessons


Yesterday, I was reminded why I love to teach. 

For those that don't know, I have been teaching piano lessons since I was about 16 years old.  My philosophy has never been that my students need to play perfectly.  I have found that students soon hate playing the piano if you push them to do everything perfectly.  Instead, I have always just asked my students to do their best.  Usually when I get to lessons, the students are full of excuses of why the song won't be just right and I always respond, "just do your best."

It really is a simple concept.  I want my students to do their best, but I also want them to love the music.  A student that loves to play the piano will practice.  It is a proven fact.  So, why, you may ask, was yesterday any different?  Because.....he got it.

Let me explain.  I have an 11 year old student that really plays well.  He plays the childrens songbook better than most adults would in church.  He is playing Beethoven and Bach and really anything I throw at this kid, he can play.  His sightreading skills are incredible.  To say that it is a joy to teach him is an understatement.  He once told me that everytime he goes past the music room he just has to sit down at the piano and play through all of his songs.

About a month ago, this student showed an interest in playing hymn arragements from our church.  He went with his mom and picked out a book full of them.  He sight read them well.  I knew he would, but there was something missing.  He played the notes.....but that was it.

I explained to him something that I thought would be over his head in ability.  I explained putting emotion into his music.  I pointed out that he was playing music that had a message.  These hymns are powerful, but only if you can feel it too. 

As soon as he started to play yesterday, I knew.  He "got" it.  He played more beautifully than I had ever heard him play before.  Tears threatened to come as I listened to him play.

I looked down while he was playing and noticed something that I had never seen before.  There in the carpet below the pedal was a footprint.  He had practiced so much that his foot had matted down the carpet in the shape of his foot.

It was one of those moments that you live for as a teacher.  He loves to play, and now he can share that love of music with others.  That is enough for me.

3 comments:

The Conrad Family said...

I bet you are a wonderful teacher! I wish you lived nearby and I would have you teach my kids! What a great experience for you!

Pease Family said...

That is so awesome Jonie! If anyone can teach love of music, you can!

Jer said...

Playing from the heart. That is the only way to play. I'm so happy that you were able to have that awesome moment. I'm still counting on you to teach Issac!